Thursday, November 22, 2007

War Remnants Museum

I highly recommend this museum to everyone who visits Saigon. It is shocking. Especially as an American, I could not believe the things I saw! Massacres, soldiers killing children, soldiers pushing people out of airplanes, torture, the horrible affects of agent orange dioxin. I could not believe what I was seeing. I don't know too much about the Vietnam war, but I had a much different impression of it. I kept thinking wow, this museum makes Americans look horrible, but I guess the Americans were horrible. Shocking.

There is a huge photo exhibit in the museum. After looking at all the photos there is a book that visitors can sign and write something in. We were looking through the book reading people's comments. Similar to the comments I saw at the Tuol Sleng Genocide museum, there were lots of things like: "Never let it happen again." "Peace on earth." Why even write this? I really don't think there will ever be peace on earth, unfortunately. Anyway, there was one comment that absolutely enraged me. It was written by an Irish guy and it said: "Great museum! It really highlights the stupidity that runs through America as a whole." This comment made me so INCREDIBLY mad I wrote a huge response underneath it. The things that the Americans did in Vietnam were horrific, and I just learned that. In my opinion, people are people whether they are Irish, American, or Vietnamese. We trust what we are taught. If someone tells us, this is how it is when we are 12, we generally believe them. I think to say that stupidity runs through America is just breeding intolerance. Why do we have wars? Intolerance is one reason. So to say something like that is intolerant and ignorant. ARG!! What we need is tolerance! Tolerance and truth!!

No comments: