Thursday, November 15, 2007

America... Is It A Dirty Word?


This "issue'' is something I have been dealing with since the beginning of my travels, actually, even before this journey started. People told me: ''The world hates Americans, be careful.'' Before leaving I even thought about telling people I was Canadian if the reaction to "American'' was as bad as people said.
At the beginning of my trip I would sort of skirt the issue with other people I met, hoping I wouldn't have to tell them where I was from. But now, I have no problem with telling people I am American, and I would not tell people I am from anywhere else, as that would be a lie. I get different reactions from different people. The locals of wherever I am (Nepal, Cambodia, etc...) seem always to be awed by the fact that I am American. They say something like, "Oh very nice country! Very rich country! Very big building! Land of milk and honey!'' I sort of laugh at this and ask them why they think this. I don't really know how to explain that yes you can make alot more money, but you also pay alot more.
Then, there is the reaction from fellow travellers which is a bit less enthusiastic than that of the locals. People are never mean about the fact, after all I can't help where I was born, but at times I can detect a hint of sarcasm or a trace of annoyance as if I am responsible for all the things going on in the world to do with America. At times it seems as though people think I was the one who sent the troops over to Iraq. This, at times, can be frustrating. Even though it is frustrating, I do, and will continue to say I am from America. The other day a German guy told me I was a cool Canadian. I thanked him, and quickly corrected him, telling him that I was American.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am not one of those crazy flag waving patriotic people in any sense of the word. I know nothing about the politics or business of America and don't really care too much anyway. But I do think people from other countries need to know that all Americans don't just stay in their own state forever and rot in a corner. I think alot of people don't realize that some Americans actually do know where Africa is, and that Africa is not a country but a continent.
Since I am American, and say it, people always seem to tell me their "horrid American" story. Greatttt.... This is always good. Maybe it will be about the California girl who thought the language of Holland is "Amsterdamish" or the Southern guy who thought that Danish was just a pastry and not a people. Or maybe it was the fat drunk guy from Colorado who was grabbing the prostitute and saying dirty things. Yes, these stories can sometimes be amusing. But I also want to ask: "Ok, well what am I supposed to do about that? I doubt you know what borders Montana and the capital of Florida." Ok, it is a bit different, but I habout ear alot of these stories and they get a bit annoying.
''American'' is a bit of a dirty word on the travellers circuit. I can see two sides to this. At times it can be difficult for me to say I am American when surrounded by a bunch of people from Europe who are bashing Bush and the war. People can look at you differently. I am American so my parents must be rich. I am American, so I am probably getting 500 dollars a month to travel. Some people can't believe it. "You are American??'' they say. ''You actually left your 4 years of continuous college and job opportunity and money and friends and state to TRAVEL!?'' Some people seem incredulous.
On the other hand, I always tell people I am American because I think the world should know that not all people from the States never leave and are racist and drink six packs all day and get wasted at frat parties. One thing I have come to despise is when I don't know something about the world that other people seem to think is common knowledge. I feel like it is my duty, as one of the very few young Americans who seem to be traveling around this area, to show people that I am not stupid and I know things about the world. Basically I want to be a good example of what an American can be.
''American'' is a bit of a dirty word at times. Maybe not necessarily dirty, but stigmatized. Americans have a reputation, and that reputation is hard to break, but I will do it. As frustrating as it may be, I also get rather annoyed at the people who are so firm with this stereotype of ''stupid Americans.'' Some people are so vocal about this stereotype and are not willing to come to grips with the fact that America has 300 million people in it, which is quite alot, and there are so many different types that make up that 300 million. So, in my opinion, people who joke and stereotype all Americans as ''stupid and ignorant'' are just propagating the immaturity and ignorance that they are so against.
So, I call all Americans who have the means to travel! Meet the people of the world! Prove that you know that a Danish is not just something that will add an inch to your waistline!! Prove that you know that a person from Holland is not a 'Hollandaise'! I challenge everyone to go out and prove it, and change this damn stereotype one person at a time!
(Picture: The picture was taken by a young homeless girl I met on the riverfront of Phnom Penh. She took a whole bunch of really cool pictures. When I told her I was from the US she searched out the flag and took a picture of it. There are flags from 100+ countries flapping in the wind along the river front of PP.)

No comments: