Monday, November 5, 2007

PP Recommendations thus far

Here are some recommendations reviews for some things in Phnom Penh:

Genocide museum: I will do a more complete review of this later when I have a long block of time to write. This is a really good museum, but prepare to be more depressed than you have ever been. The museum has been pretty much preserved the same way the Khmer Rouge left it... Cells, iron shackles still in place, gallows, torture devices, iron clubs and murder weapons. This is a good museum to see, so everyone is aware of the attrocities that went and and still go on everyday.

Capital Guesthouse: This is where I have been staying here in PP. It is simple but cheap. I decided to splure and get the $4 per night room with the bathroom inside, instead of a shared bathroom. It is decent... if you are not going to spend much time in your room, which I don't. Plus: they have mosquito nets you can put up in the room. Minus: The reception staff can be a bit snippy at times, but whatever.

Deli Cafe: This is a nice little cafe I found on Sihanouk Blvd. (I broke my vow of no restaurants since being in PP by the way.) It is a place that only locals go to, and is not in any guide book, but is very nice. They have all traditional Khmer, Vietnamese, and Chinese foods, especially really good noodle soups. A good place to go for breakfast to get an iced coffee and a bowl of noodles... The same stuff they sell on the streets. A bit more expensive than the real street for because you get to sit inside and relax away from the hustle and bustle. Good coconut bubble tea, and good fish congee.

Friends: This is a realllly nice awesome restaurant. The prices are pretty cheap for such a nice place. Most of it is tapas, so make sure you get a few things to test. It is across from the National Museum. Also, you can eat your heart out for a good cause. The place trains ex-street kids so they will develop a marketable skill. Most of the wait staff and cooks are "students" learning about the restaurant business.

Seeing Hands Massage: I indulged in a $5 massage today. It was for a good cause!! What can I say! I think there are a few locations, but I went to the one near the river front. All the trained masseurs are blind. I got a Japanese style massage, and it was good!! I told her to do it "strong" and she definetally did it strong. All the money goes towards helping the visually impaired Cambodians. A good way to support something, while indulging in a great massage at the same time.

No comments: