Saturday, September 8, 2007

Tutoring


Private tutoring session. This is me and two of my private tutees: Sopa and Karma. I have been tutoring Sopa all along (the monk on the far left) and he is coming along quite nicely. The monk on the right is Karma. He has been on vacation for the last month and just came back to the monastery last week and was eager to begin classes so we invited him to our tutor session. In this picture we are reading English newspapers. At first I had them reading English books, but they were too boring so I thought English newspapers would be better. The stories are short and interesting, and the monks (and me) stay updated on the news. After tutoring I give them a list of about 20 vocabulary words from the newspapers that they did not know, and have them look up the words and write their definition and a sentence for each word.

No comments: