Saturday, September 1, 2007

Misc.

One of my fellow E.L.I. volunteers taught English at Balmandeer school in Kathmandu to students of all ages. One day we took a day off of the hospital and went with her to school. It was so much fun! We taught the kids English songs and tried to teach them some English dances too, which ended up being a horrible failure because the only dances we could think of were square dances which are sort of difficult to teach 100 kids at once. This picture is me and two of Caroline's students at Balmandeer.
This picture is from my days at Manmohan Hospital. This was my usual hangout, behind the ER desk waiting for trauma cases to come in. I am sitting with the main ER doc, Dr. Dolma. A really nice guy who thought I was a medical student, and I think was confused as to why I didn't know the different varieties of stitches and types of tuberculosis.
Hehe... sorry I had to put this one in here. This is the gangrenous toe infested with maggots. This patient was an old Nepali lady who seemed totally oblivious to her condition. I was inspecting the toe when I saw something white and grubby poking around in there... I alerted the doctors, and it turns out they were maggots. So we had to pick out the maggots with tweezers, and I fanned the foot with some papers to keep the flies off!

No comments: