Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Rammaya Tamang: Vegetable Peddler



I am currently writing an article about the vegetable peddlers of Kathmandu. This is Rammaya Tamang, just about the nicest vegetable peddler I have ever met. I interviewed her about her daily life as a vegetable peddler (with the help of my Nepali friend who translated.) She was so excited about being interviewed that she took us out for milk chiya (sweet milk tea) after I was done interviewing her. During tea she spoke non-stop and stroked my hands, face, and hair as though I were her cat or something. Anyway, she is 65 years old and has been working as a veg peddler for 40 years! She makes 300-500 rupees per day (5-8 dollars US.) She works illegally on the sidewalk, as do most vegetable peddlers in this city. She specialized in three vegetables: (from left) green beans, tomatoes, and scuss.

No comments: