Friday, October 26, 2007

Hilarity

This conversation was my first real exchange with a Cambodia. I was sitting at a sidewalk cafe, writing in my journal when a young boy, maybe 11 or 12, came up to try to sell me some post cards. His demeanor was very serious no nonsense. The following hilarious conversation ensued (is that a word, it sounded good there.):

Boy: "Where are you from?"
Me: Ü.S.A."
"I know your capital, Washington D.C. I know 50 states, all capitals. What your state?"
"Oregon."
"Ï know your capital. Salem."
"Yep."
"I know your president. George W. Bush. Nobdy like him."
"Haha."
"You wanna buy my post card? Very nice post card."
"No thanks."
"Why not? You buy post card, send to your boyfriend."
"I don't have a boyfriend."
"You know why you don't have boyfriend?"
"Why?"
"Because you no buy my postcard. You buy my postcard, you get very beautiful boyfriend."

I laughed very hard at this. He deemed me a lost cause, and trudged off the an approaching pair of tourists to sell them his postcards.

No comments: