Friday, October 26, 2007

Negligence, etc...

Hello!
I am very sorry for having sorely neglected my blog for the last month. I have been 1) busy, 2)lazy, and 3) not in the mood to write. But now I am ready and raring to go.
Updates:
I spent my last few days in Nepal doing all sorts of fun things. I went on a river rafting adventure on the Upper Seti river with my friends Ashton and Bijay. We had a whole expedition to ourselves!! Well, we set off, and WOW. I was expecting more of a float, but these were some MAJOR rapids. Really major rapids. I was pretty sure I would die a few times, but I didn't. We had one main raft and a kayaker paddled near by us incase any of us fell out. Well about 20 minutes into the expedition the safety kayaker flipped, hit a rock under water, and dislocated his elbow!! Needless to say, no more safety kayaker for the rest of the expedition. They told us: Ïts okay, just don't fall out."Ok.... Well the whole rafting trip was amazing! Awesome! I recommend everyone who is in Nepal to go on a rafting adventure. Well worth it.

I also spent my last full day in Nepal (I was in the city of Pokhara) paragliding! I thought this would be a good one to add to my list of extreme sports. I was not too nervous on the drive up to the jump off point at a place called Sarangkot. I figured, this can't be any worse than jumping off of a bridge 166 meters above a raging river, as was the bungee jump. Well, we got to the top, strapped into our harnesses (I jumped tandem, aka with a professional strapped to my back because you can't go alone unless you are trained) and he all the sudden said "Run!!!" So I ran and the next thing I knew I was running off a cliff with the city of Pokhara in tiny dots below me! Wow!! It was awesome!! It felt much more safe than the bungee jump which I think it is. My guide who was strapped to me followed the hawks that were flying about in the thermals. We spent most of the time stalking hawks and eagles and such and gliding over phewa lake. He did a few crazy tricks, spins, twists, and such. (Note to self: Do not ever again eat a big breakfast before doing extreme sports...) After about 30 minutes of flying we landed. Success!! It was great... Over the bungee jump and the paraglide, I would chose the bungee if you can only do one. But if you can do two, I recommend them both. You really get to feel like what it would be to be a bird.

Good bye Nepal! Namaste! I will miss you, but I will be back!

After Nepal, I jetted off to Singapore! I arrived around 11 oçlock pm... It was quite strange. I felt very weird in the airport while I was there. I was sort of giddy, and felt like laughing at everything I saw. It went something like this: "WOW!!! How in the world do they keep this place so shiny! What the heck??? Marble! Shiny marble floors!!!!! Water falls/fountain thing!! Wow! Where are the cows? Hmmm... Wow, everyone looks so clean? Do they take a shower everyday or something? What is on those lady's faces? Oh.. must be makeup. Where is all the trash?? The masses of trash, no where to be found... Could it actually be in the garbage can? NO!?!?!? Amazing! Where are the glue huffing children? Wow, all these kids look so... nice. What sort of contraptions are those ladies wearing on their feet?? Looks like some kind of weapon. Oh! High heels!! Wow, amazing!! Hmmm... those cars out there must be for the very rich elite... Wait a second... You are telling me those are the TAXIS??? For everyone?? For ME?? You can't be serious. They look like Benz's! Some ARE BENZ's!! HOLY GOd!! "
And then... I got in the taxi! And WOW, airconditioned! Seatbelts! I had forgotten those exist. And then the driver did something and I was very confused. A strange noise came from his seat. I looked over... What??? What was that? OHHHHH!!!! He had just put his window up with an AUTOMATIC BUTTON! Haha, I could not help but giggle. The whole thing was just the most entertaining thing ever. I felt totally strange, not in a bad way though. I did see one woman who was waiting in the taxi line wearing a sari and with a tika on her forehead, and I didn't feel totally displaced. Well, I stared in awe the whole taxi ride to Aunt Sandy and Uncle Vic's. The buildings were just so unimaginably big! So shiny! It's really quite astonishing!!! I kept looking for stray cows on the highway, but alas, I did not see one single farm animal on the loose anywhere! I didn't even see any emaciated dogs!! Not even one chicken!! It was just amazing! I had a fantastic taxi ride, and I think the taxi driver thought I was brought up in some foreign land and had never seen civilization before. I asked him how they kept this place so clean, and he just stared quizzically at me in the rear view mirror. The whole experience was so strange and really quite fun too!! The fun wasn't over, let me tell you. I arrived at Aunt Sandy and Uncle Vic's around midnight. I came in and wow!! Amazing!! A real house (apartment!) Wow! I was really amazed. I went for a drink of water! Oh my, cold water! And, miracle of miracles, there was ice cubes!! I drank my luxurious water and went to the bedroom. I went to the bathroom, and oh my gosh, there was not a single fly, bug, dirty anything, "missed"spot (where people go to the bathroom and miss, the toilet was not a hole in the ground, and the best part: there was TOILET PAPER!!! Ahhh... I thought, now this is some luxury. I basked in the glory of a roll of toilet paper, fluffy towels (I neglected to wash my towel during my 5 months in Nepal, so it subsequently turned into a mildewy rag scrap), soap, light, clean!! And then I went to bed on the most luxurious mattress, it actually had springs!!! And was not rock hard!! And had sheets!! Clean ones at that! And, luxury of all luxury, 3 pillows!! Ahh... I went to bed with a huge smile on my face laying on my pillows. I have spent the majority of the last 5 months using rolled up t-shirts as a pillow. Anyway, you could say I was a bit culture shocked. In a good way I think. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with no pillows, mildewy rags as a towel, no TP, no soap, no ice cubes. It was actually fabulous, the most fabulous experience in my life, but when I got back to having those things I was absolutely fascinated and loving it!! Things that I never thought of as luxury were just as luxurious to me as a spa week at the Hilton VIP Hotel would have been, only better. Before, I never thought of how nice ice cubes are, or toilet paper, or shiny things, or clean streets, but now I appreciate them all SOOOO much!!!!!!

I spent the last 10 days having a marvelous time in Singapore, which I love. It is a fantastic place... I spent alot of time wandering around the city, which was probably extra fascinating because I havn't seen a city like that in a while. Riding the MRT, and the buses (AC!!! whoa!), trying all different types of hawker center food, checking out NUS, playing with the Eli and Satchel, relaxing, recharging, and enjoying just hanging out.
One major highlight, although it's hard to say just one major highlight, because the entire trip was a highlight. Anyway, Aunt Sandy and Uncle Vic took me to high tea at the Fullerton Hotel one afternoon. It was so fun!! While at high tea, I decided I wouldn't mind too much being a queen, or just someone who has high tea alot. Well, I felt quite regal and royal. Probably the most queenly I've ever felt. Well, the Fullerton itself is quite an amazing place. Anyway, we all got to order a tea, I got one called Älfonso"which is black tea infused with mangos. Yum!! Then they bring you out a three tiered tray with all sorts of good stuff on there. The top tier was finger sandwiches of all sorts, the middle was scones and muffins, and the bottom tier was full of delectable desserts. After you finish they bring a silver tray and refill any of the things you want. Yum!!! Sooooo good! I thoroughly stuffed myself with clotted cream cover scones, cucumber sandwiches, and creme brulee.

After 10 wonderful days of recharging in Singapore I departed, which was this morning... And now, I am writing this from CAMBODIA!!!

No comments: