Saturday, August 11, 2007

Mr. Botibol

"He resembled to an extraordinary degree an asparagus. His long narrow stalk did not appear to have any shoulders at all; it merely tapered upwards, growing gradually narrower and narrower until it came to a kind of a point at the top of the small bald head. He was tightly encased in a shiny blue double-breasted shirt, and this, for some curious reason, accentuated the illusion of a vegetable to a preposterous degree."
-Mr. Botibol
Roald Dahl Stories p. 667


I finished the collection of Roald Dahl short stories I was reading. They are great! I highly recommend them. They are not like his children's books at all.... some of the most darkly twited, satirical black humor I have read. Fabulous.

I also just finished The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. An interesting book, the writing style I thought was a bit strange, a bit choppy. But the book conveys a feeling very well. It is set Kalimpong which is on the Nepali-Indian border. It covers so many different issues, sometimes it is hard to keep straight. Some include the issue of race, immigration, affects of immigration on the home country and country of work, affects of a globalized world on cultures and traditions, and much more... It was really an interesting read, because the author makes many references to things that I would not have understood had I not been living in Nepal.

I am currently reading The City of Joy by Dominique Lappier. It is about a large slum in Calcutta.

No comments: