Monday, August 20, 2007

Books

I have recently finished The City of Joy by Dominique Lappier. It is a non-fiction about the largest slum in Calcutta called Anand Nagar (traslates to "city of joy.") It focuses what life is like in the slum for the local Indians and also for a preacher that moves into the slum because he feels that it is his calling to live like the poorest of the poor. The writing was not the best I have read, but it was interesting never the less to understand a bit more what life is like in the slum. The author really wants to make the point that although these people live in the most horrible and destitute conditions in the world, they still are full of happiness, joy, and light. The book was written over 20 years ago, so I think some of the information is a bit out of date.

I am currently almost done with The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kinsolver. This is an amazing book. Very intense. It makes me want to write my own book. She is a wonderful writer.

No comments: