Saturday, August 11, 2007

Monkey Monks

Besides just being able to do all varities of breakdancing and gymnastic moves, these boys are the most monkeyish lot I've ever seen. Monkeys infest the surrounding forest of the monastery. Sometimes I wonder if in their sleep, these monkeys come, and inject these little ones with some of their monkey genes. Well, I was taking a stroll on the grounds talking with some of the monks when I hear "Miss!! Miss!! Monkey! Monkey-man!" I looked around. No one to be see, except for the monks I was talking to at that moment. "Meees! Monkey, monkey, monkey man!" I looked up into the trees. There, high up in the branches of the tallest trees, I could make out little spects of maroon cloth hanging through the leaves. "Monkey!" There they were, about 10 of my students, high up on the most ridiculously high trees, which grow off the most ridiculously steep cliff on the side of the monastery. Oh dear... boys, boys, boys. They had climbed up almost uncomprehendably high and were bouncing around the branches, swaying the trees, and making screeching sounds at the real monkeys that live up there. It was a wild sight. "Miss! Miss! Jump?" they all screamed down at me, satisfied that they had got my attention. "No! No! No!" I assured them, "You just stay up there!" Although it was much too far to jump anyway. I was watching them all high up in the trees, curious how in the world they were ever going to get down. Many of the trees are simply tall, thin, tree trunks with few branches to hold on to, but once the bell for tea rang, down cinched them selves down those trees in a matter of seconds. These boys really are monkeys.

No comments: