Thursday, June 14, 2007

Suddenly Last Summer

Has anyone read Tennessee Williams' "Suddenly Last Summer" play? If so you will remember the rather frightful final scene of the play which concludes with Sebastian's horrific death where he is mobbed by street children. Anyway a similar event happened to me today while I was strolling the grounds of Swayambhunath. (But don't worry the scene was not even close to as horrific as the one in Suddenly Last Summer and I was actually rather pleased that something sort of happened to me that was in one of Tennessee Williams' plays.) So I was circling the grounds (clockwise of course) and watching the different monks walk to and fro, young and old. Suddenly a mob of about 10 very wretched looking street children surrounded me saying their usual "one-biscuit, miss, miss, one-biscuit" but these children were quite a bit more aggressive than the usual ones you find in Thamel. Usually the only tap you and ask or stick their hand in your face, but these ones were tugging and pulling and crowding. It was a little bit overwhelming for a moment, but you must also note that none of these vagrants were more than 4 feet tall and probably the eldest was only 8 years of age. They were especially dirty, tattered, and dripping with snot. I said repeatedly "No, No, No, No, No!" But they persisted and were becoming very pushy and grabbing and refusing to let me walk forward. This was not a frightening situation but just mildly annoying and claustrophobic. Anyway, they refused to give up and let me walk to I had to resort to pushing them away slightly. A wrinkled, sari-clad woman squatting by noticed and grabbed her huge, probably 6 foot long stick that she kept close at hand. Along she scuttered to my rescue beating the children off of me and chasing them away as if they were stray dogs. They shuffled away trying to avoid the wrath of the stick.
So this was my Tennessee Williams moment.

No comments: