Saturday, June 9, 2007

Sewage Overflow

I was browsing one of the numerous book shops sprinkled through Thamel and was jolted from my reading by a sudden horrific smell. This was not just the smell of rot, this was the smell of rot, mold, garbage, and thousands upon thousands of people's fecal matter. I put down the book I was flipping through and stepped outside to find a shocking and somewhat disturbingly comical sight. The manhole cover to the sewer below had been taken off and the gaping mouth in the cement was spewing gallons upon gallons of raw sewage. The surrounding street within a 20 foot radius was filling with a thick muck of yellowish brown feces stew. Foreigners plugged their noses and wretched. Nepalese women frowned distastefully and held their saris to their noses. The street children frolicked in it and splashed one another (why - I do not know. Maybe to disgust the foreigners.) Shoeless men curmudgeonly fished into the gurbling manhole with their bare hands and with long metal rots. They stirred the hole that vomitted feces like it was a pot of delicious soup. All this while the most horrible smell was wafting about settling over the scene like a heavy fog. After watching this spectacle for about 15 minutes I had to depart as the smell was much too overpowering and I felt the fecal fog seeping into my pores. So away I went from the chunky sludge of the sewer.

No comments: