Sunday, June 21, 2009

On The Road Again....

Greetings from Singapore!
I seem to have woken up today and found myself in Asia. This is my second major backpacking trip to in SE Asia and I couldn't be more excited. I arrive in Asia this time not by myself, but with my boyfriend Eric in tow. We are both travel addicts affected by wanderlust, so I think this experience should be fantastic. It will definitely be a much different experience than my first Asia trip. On my previous journey through this area I was traveling mostly alone. I got up when I wanted, went to sleep when I wanted, and traveled wherever I wanted. It was pure independence, and one of the best experiences of my life.
But, I am equally excited to share those experiences with someone else. On my previous trip I found myself constantly overwhelmed with emotions, thoughts, sensory experiences, and wonderment that I was content keeping to myself and writing down. But, it is great to be able to share those things with somebody else. On my first trip I learned that value of the written word. I wrote everything down, which equated to 12 full journals by the end of my 10 months abroad. I vow to continue to write everything down that I feel. I have found great pleasure in flipping through my old journals. It is entertaining, and often hilarious to see what sort of things I was thinking on certain days... It is nice to be able to read what I felt on my first day in Asia, and later my first day in Kathmandu. The feeling I had when I first stepped off the plane in Kathmandu, I think, is a once in a lifetime feeling. Everything that lay ahead of my was unknown. I didn't know anything about traveling, bartering, eating foreign foods, gesturing, or Nepali toilets.
At the beginning of this trip I did not have that same nervousness that I did then. I feel much more experienced. That first trip gave me the confidence to feel like I could take on anything, and I will take on anything that happens during the next three months.
Eric and I will be traveling in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. (At least that is the plan at the moment.) I will continue to keep note of what happens on my blog: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Both of us consider ourselves very adventurous travelers, so I have no doubt that we will come in contact with some pretty interesting people, food, and situations in general.
We will also be experimenting with some organizations that I have heard alot about and have been excited to try out. The first is called WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). We will be working at one or two organic farms in Thailand, which I will be sure to report lots about. We also hope to try out
Couchsurfing.com. It is gonig to be a great three months!

No comments: