Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Updates....

Ok, where did I leave off from?
Mui Ne I covered... Next stop was Dalat which I believe I also covered. After Dalat was Nha Trang. Nha Trang was nice, although the weather was quite stormy when we were there so we were not able to enjoy the beach. The picture of the sleeping buddha is from Nha Trang, by the way.
Highlight of Nha Trang: Mud bath! Jayne, Ebony, and I went for a day at these special mud baths. We began by entering this strange little complex and showered off in our suits in an area signed "Shower Area For Men." After this, we were ushered into a massive tub which immediately began to fill with chocolately brown mud. I felt as though I were an oompa loompa who had fallen into Charlie's chocolate river. We froliced in the mud for quite some time. The staff kindly provided us with three plastic buckets so we could pour mud on our selves. About 45 minutes after the mud bath began we were being attacked on any exposed flesh by mosquitoes, of "mozzies" as Ebony the Australian calls them. After the mud bath, we were ushed again to the "Shower Area For Men" where we spent about 15 minutes trying to get all the mud off. I kept creeping peeks into the bushes to check if there were any midget, orange haired, green suspendered oompa loompas hiding about. Unfortunately, I did not see any. This shower was followed by a "hydrotherapy jet stream" thing. We stood on a bunch of rocks and were shot at with streams of warm water. This was quite nice. After this was a mineral bath, similar to a jacuzzi. Again, we were attacked continuously by mozzies whenever we came out of the boiling water for breath.
The rest of the group left and I stayed an extra day in Nha Trang to explore and such. I did alot of walking and thinking, then off to Hoi An.

Hoi An: This is my absolute favorite place in Vietnam. It is as though some sort of Vietnamese fairy flew over the city and sprinkled magic fairy dust on the place. It is old, the textured, and cultured, classy, and elegant. The place bursting with tailors. I had 3 things made, very basic things for travel. My compatriates were not so restrained and had all sorts of dresses and trousers made.

Hue: This was the next stop after Hoi An. I have heard good things about Hue, but honestly I thought it was decent at best. It is home to the Citadel, the ancient capital of Vietnam. We went to the Imperial Enclosure, which was nice. After 7 months in Asia though, a pagoda is a pagoda is a pagoda. We did have some great food in Hue though. The best part of Hue was the market which was fantastic, I love markets though. It was also chock full of street food that I always love to try.

Hanoi: Just arrived in Hanoi today. We took a sleeper bus which is outfitted with beds, as the bus journey is 13 hours long. This would all be great and grand, except that the driver insisted on blaring horrific Vietnamese karaoke music the ENTIRE bus journey to everyone's chagrin. So, the sleeper bus ended up being pointless because sleep was impossible. The bus ride: If you can imagine your cranium being cut open with a seraded bread knife (which is rusty), and then the soundtrack of every dodgy Vietnamese karaoke bar is stuffed in your brain on endless repeat, then your cranium is stapled shut (with rusty staples.) Thats what it was like. Only a little worse. I think I shall write a story on it... to come later.
I am now with Ebony (Australia) and Paula (Argentina). We spent the day wondering around Hanoi, stopping in at random food stalls, stores, and other sights. I much prefer to get lost and wander, rather than look at the sights in the guide book. We were watching a huge talent show at a Vietnamese primary school from the doors outside. It was rather hilarious. Then, the teachers saw us and invited us in as VIP guests where we sat at the front of the auditorium while all the hundreds of small children cheered and screamed. We got front row seats to choreographed dances by 10 year old Vietnamese girls decked out in green eye shadow and silver sequined tops, and 8 year old kung fu masters in yellow silk outfits. It was fantastic.
Ebony and I had a fabulous meal of street food for dinner. I can't remember what it is called, but I will write the name later. Hanoi seems to be foodie heaven, so I am trying to expand my Vietnamese food expertise beyond delicious pho bo (which is my current addiction.)

Tomorrow: Paula, Ebony and I are heading off to Halong Bay for a boat tour on a dingy! Ahhh... this should be grand. It is 2 nights and 3 days on a boat. I am quite excited for this one. As I have just finished my book called "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith (which I highly recommend by the way), I decided to purchase Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, which seemed appropriate as I am about to embark on a 3 day boat journey. Much adventures to come!

I also have some great photos I must up load, but I must pack my bag for the boat journey.

Tam biet (goodbye) and thanks for reading.

No comments: