Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas in Laos

Merry Christmas everyone!
I have been having a very wonderful and memorable Christmas here in Luang Prabang. I met Aunt Sandy, Uncle Vic, Satchel, Eli, and Uncle Vic's parent's: Vic and Ruby in LP for a few fun filled days. I have been seeing Christmas decorations for the last month (all through Vietnam) but it really hadn't sunk in that it was Christmas because it's warm! I keep waiting for the cold rains and slushy snow, but I'm in SE Asia, so don't think thats going to happen. Although it did not feel like my usual Christmas, we have been having a delightful time exploring the town, climbing hundreds of steps to get to Phu Si (splendid views of LP city), cruising in tuk-tuks, tempting our tastebuds with all sorts of delicious foods (eating at nice restaurants, a nice change for me from constantly eating street food!!), enjoying wonderful bungalows set in the jungle, and having an all around good time with family. I have been teaching Eli (my 6 year old cousin) the art of bargaining at the markets. So far we have been doing very well, buying goods at a fraction of the price which the vendors offer. I can tell he will make a great backpacker in 15 years! He keeps telling me: "Let's go bargaining!"

No comments: