Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The End of Poverty

I finished a book called The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs about a week ago, and am still deciding my opinions on the book. Well, I was moved, motivated, and inspired by the book, thats for sure. Sachs lays out a clear and conscise economic plan to eliminate extreme poverty completely by the year 2025, in our lifetime. I was shocked and dismayed to learn how little the US is contributing in foreign aid compared to the amount of money the US has available for expenditure. The US has time and time again promised to give 0.7% of GNP to foreign aid, but is right now contributing about 0.15%. Sachs lays out exactly how and where the money should be spent and in which countries. I am keeping the book rather than selling it back because there are many sections I am going to read over again. Some parts were had for me to fully understand because the book, although clear and readable, is full of economic and political jargon that I am not familar with. I am still not decided what I think though. In the next week or so I will post a more thorough review and my opinions in greater detail. Right now: I think it is absolutely possible to attain the goals in Mr Sach's book, the question is are the rich countries and super-rich people (especially the top 400 richest people in the US) willing to do it? As of now, it seems the answer is no. But, I am not sure how much longer we can allow 10,000 people in Africa to die every day of preventable and treatable illness.... When I post my full review I will also post my opinions of how the Millenium Development Goals in The End of Poverty relate to Nepal, and how Nepal might fit into this plan to end extreme poverty in our life time.
More to come....

No comments: