Friday, July 13, 2007

Books

A few books I have finished lately:

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carole Oates. This is a wonderful novel about family relationships and dynamics which I recommend to everyone. Very emotionally powerful.

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. Written in his usual style like all his books. Dark, disturbing, twisted. It was good, although I enjoyed Fight Club and Lullaby much more.

The Lexus and The Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman. This is a good introductory book on globalization. I have become interested on how globalization affects culture. I have been noticing especially how Kathmandu is starting to plug into what Friedman calls the "electronic herd," although I still think Nepal has a LONG way to go. But evidence of globalization around here is everywhere: young Nepalis wearing Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, and Kurt Cobain t-shirts, American brands plastered everywhere (including in some of the villages I have seen). The beginning of the book focuses on how globalization got started, and alot about the beginning of the internet. An interesting introduction for anyone interested in this new world system. Good, or bad, I am still decided. I think there are good and bad parts though. Traditional culture is going down the drain for American pop culture stuff, but I think globalization also allows a higher standard of living for people who previously did not have this option. A curious thing that I would like to read more about.

I am currently reading a history book about London in 1700. In many ways I feel that London in 1700 parallels life here in Kathmandu. An interesting bit of European history.

No comments: