Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Planting Rice in Phimai

We were lucky enough to be able to help Su's parents plant some rice in Phimai (NE Thailand). I think Su's father was amused by our enthusiasm to try planting rice and we has surprised that we actually enjoyed it. I had a good time planting rice and am now much more appreciated of every bowl of rice I eat. The process of rice planting and harvesting seems very long and tedious to me. The farms throw rice grains in the fields until they grow into the green rice grasses. Then the rice grasses are each hand picked from these fields and replanted by hand in another field so that the plants have more room to grow. In this picture, Eric and I are working on replanting the rice grasses of rice after they have been picked from another field. Unfortunately we are going to be gone for harvesting season, which is in November. Below is a picture of Su's father. Although he spoke no English, I found him to be one of the most friendly and kind people I have ever met. He is the sort of person who always looks like he is smiling, even when he is not. Here, Su's father is bringing us fresh bundles of rice bundles that need to be planted. I knew that working in the rice fields was hard work, as I have witnessed hundreds of women working in the fields in Nepal, but I have a new found respect for these people who likely work on the rice fields for the majority of their life. If I did rice planting for more than a week, I think I would need some serious chiropractic work and a 2 hour Thai massage. Props to rice workers.

1 comment:

Phimai Homestay said...

Hello traveller Leah,

I am making a blog for a befriended rice farmer in Phimai and I used one of your photos. Is this OK with you? I mentioned your name as the photographer and there is link to your blog. Come and have a look!